Friday, December 16, 2011

Dreams are Illegal in the Ghetto



Back with a little more poetry! I am such a fan of Def Jam Poetry... I think they definitely elevated poetry to a higher place by placing it on such a scale forum like television. As of right now I have tons of Def Jam Poetry YouTube clips that I think are not only inspiring but engaging, well written, and mentally stimulating. This poem is called "Dreams are Illegal in the Ghetto". After I heard it, I was immediately struck by how honest and true it was for me. Growing up as a young black girl, I constantly saw the dreams of my friends crushed and their innocence stolen because someone told them "No" or said "You aren't good enough to do or have...". When you live on the wrong side of the tracks you can appreciate someone acknowledging the suffering that you may have felt. And I think whether Black, White or indifferent, we can all feel this poem pull at our heart strings. So I am sharing this with you and I hope you enjoy it.
-monet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or just leave a hello saying you stopped by.